Monday, April 18, 2005

Bells and Whistles


Sunday's society column carried a story about the Peninsula Lions Club honoring police and firefighters. The last time positive comments about our public servants was allowed in the local paper was when the Palo Alto police department was taken over by the girls. Today we're back to questioning these dangerous occupations with a story about worker's compensation claims. Police and firefighters get injured more frequently? Say it ain't so! To this add racial profiling charges against officers and the coverage of officers accused of beating a citizen. I'm beginning to think the Daily might look into response times to newspapers located near firestations.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob, I could not agree more. I think this is a clear case of profession profiling in the local paper coverage. From my view, our local police are the Thin Blue Line between citizen order and chaos...our local firefighters and emergency medical technicians are the first responders in our moments of crisis. When we think of 911, we cannot help but think of the brave men and women who went UP the tower stairwells to save lives, only to make the ultimate sacrifice. Putting it more locally, who do you think are the most important people in the event of a major earthquake or a flood along San Fransquito Creek or a crisis during an major event at Stanford Stadium or an accident on El Camino or an intruder lurking in your backyard? Who do you think gives time to local athletics, presentations in our schools and helps kids get to special camps for burn victims? I know who comes to mind for me...

3:12 PM  
Blogger Robert Holmgren said...

Smoking Jay sounds as like he came by his moniker the hard way.

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, a first responder...I was beginning to think that you never read my comments on your witty observations. Keep up the good work.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Robert Holmgren said...

Smoking Jay--although the name would indicate otherwise, Burning Squirrel Report operates in a smoke free environment.

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob, relax. It's just words in play. Something like Burning Squirrel...I too sit in the tree of life viewing the world around me...I appreciate your thought provoking (and humorous) commentary on the local scene and how poorly it is covered in our town papers...and I agree with you on most points. BTW, I am smoke-free but I fume when reading about some of the local absurdity...or the slanted perspective in the local papers. Your blog has hit a nerve with me and I will continue to add my perspective as only an annoying jay can do...

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Above was me...

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home